First Fleet Anniversary Celebrations
Norfolk Island is playing host to special 230th First Fleet anniversary celebrations in March 2018. Join us for this special anniversary and discover one of the most fascinating and untold stories from Australia’s earliest British settlement days too.
First Fleet Anniversary Celebrations
A Focus on Families
With the 6th of March 1788 arrival of 23 First Fleeters, Norfolk Island became the second Settlement of the NSW Colony.
Their lives and the others who joined them to settle the island are intriguing, rugged and detailed. Through sheer grit and determination they survived the wrecking of HMS Sirius, flagship of the First Fleet, that left both Sydney and Norfolk Island on starvation rations.
Of particular resonance to First Fleet descendants, this week will also be of great interest to anyone who wants to discover the fascinating people and events that stemmed from the 6th of March 1788 on Norfolk Island, now known as Foundation Day.
The Optional First Fleet Package is highly recommended
We highly recommend you get the most out of this First Fleet-focused week by purchasing the Optional First Fleet Package including tours and activities only available during this week on the Island.
- After attending the evocative re-enactment of the First Fleeters landing on 6 March 1788, you’ll enjoy a truly sumptuous luncheon by the water in World Heritage listed Kingston, entertainment included.
- The Norfolk Island Museum special, ‘First Settlement Tour’ reveals the reasons why the Settlement was opened and closed; wrecking of HMS Sirius; the personalities and influence of the Island Commandants and much more.
- The ‘Focus on Family featuring Nathaniel and Olivia Lucas’ visits the places Nathaniel and Olivia Lucas lived and worked over 17 years as they moved from convict to free settler, raised and buried their children. Covering family life for all who lived on Norfolk Island from 1788 to 1814 this tour is of relevance to all convict and settler descendants as it captures the common experience of daily life on Norfolk Island in the First Settlement.
- A presentation at the Museum and KAVHA Research Centre will equip you to research your family history including where to find convict and genealogical records.
- Finish your week with an exclusive celebratory lunch on a cliff-top property. You’ll hear from the owners of their own First Fleet ancestor’s time on Norfolk Island highlighting another focus on family.
3 - 10 March 2018 depart Brisbane
From $1049 per person twin share
2 - 9 March 2018 depart Sydney
From $1129 per person twin share
Holiday package includes:
- Return ‘seat and bag’ airfare to Norfolk Island
- Meet & greet at Norfolk Island Airport
- Return airport transfers on Norfolk Island
- 7 nights twin share accommodation
- 7 days car hire
- Complimentary Mini Golf and A Walk In The Wild rainforest walk
- Bonus Norfolk Island discount shopping card with free gift
Optional First Fleet package $399pp and includes:
- Attending the moving and picturesque Foundation Day (6th March) Re-Enactment followed by a sumptuous beach-side lunch
- A special ‘First Settlement Tour’ by the Norfolk Island Museum revealing the period 1788 to 1814
- Tour: ‘Focus on Family featuring: Nathanial and Olivia Lucas’
- A copy of First Settlement Booklet, a complete and handy compilation
- ‘How to Research Your Family History’ presentation, including where to find convict & genealogical records
- An exclusive cliff-top celebratory lunch with presentations highlighting First Fleeter stories
Please note prices are current today and subject to change without notice up until time of final payment and ticketing.
Holiday Package Conditions/Cancellation penalties
Please note non-refundable deposit of $200 per person due upon confirmation of booking. Full payment is due prior to 24 November 2017. Airfare is subject to availability and non-refundable after issue. Changes are permitted until day before departure however date/route changes can only be made within 7 days travel dates either side of your original booked travel dates. Amendments, upgrades and name changes are NOT permitted within 24 hours prior to departure. Payment of a change fee (per passenger) applies plus any applicable upgrade fees to cover the difference between the original fare and the new fare. Accommodation cancellation penalties apply within 90 days prior to travel. Within 60 days of travel, up to 100% cancellation fees may apply. We strongly recommend travel insurance to protect you in some instances for unforeseen cancellation.
Prices shown are in Australian dollars unless otherwise stated (New Zealand prices indicated by NZ$ prefix). Prices are valid for payment by personal or bank cheques or by direct deposit into Norfolk Island Travel Centre client trust account. If you prefer to pay by Visa or Mastercard please note credit card surcharge of 1.5% applies to AUD prices. For NZ$ packages paying by Visa or Mastercard, the transaction will be converted to AUD (amount reconfirmed to you on the day of the transaction) and processed via our AUD merchant facility.