Norfolk Island Folk History
Norfolk Island Folk History – Music, poetry & stories from our Convict, whaling & Bounty heritage
Norfolk Island Folk History
A unique telling of Norfolk Island’s convict and whaling histories focusing on the real-life stories of our past.
As a Folk historian and musician Don includes performances of the songs and shanties of the time in his presentations as well as readings from letters, journals and diaries. Based on their years of historical research conducted on Norfolk Island, Australia, the UK and US, together Don and Sue present stories that are not usually heard of the personalities, intrigues and fascinating occurrences of Norfolk’s past.
Your Hosts: Don and Sue Brian
Don Brian has been exploring his linked passions for history and folklore for over 40 years. He sings traditional folksongs, sea songs and shanties which tell the maritime history of the Pacific. In Sydney, he sings with the traditional shanty group, The Roaring Forties aboard the square-rigged barque, the James Craig. He also sings traditional, collected songs with The Southern Cross Trawlers.
Since arriving on Norfolk Island in 2009, Don has had a particular interest in collecting the folklore, stories, songs and poems of the Islanders from the convict settlers to the present day.
Together, Don and Sue have been researching the influence of the whaling industry and the American ship-based whalers on Norfolk’s heritage and will recount some of the less well known stories they have found during their research.
While living on Norfolk, Sue became involved in the research and the conservation of the Museum’s artefacts from the Bounty to the current day. She developed a passion for learning traditional skills in hat-making which she was taught by the Island’s hat makers and has extended this into a study of cabbage-tree hat making in Australia.
Together, they bring an articulate, thoughtful and thoroughly fascinating perspective on Norfolk Island’s folk heritage.
01 - 08 September 2018 depart Brisbane
From $1569 per person twin share
31 August - 07 September 2018 depart Sydney
From $1619 per person twin share
Holiday package includes:
- Return economy class airfare to Norfolk Island ex Sydney or Brisbane
- Meet & Greet at the Airport
- Return airport transfers on Norfolk Island
- 7 nights accommodation
- 7 days car hire per apartment (petrol is additional)
- Norfolk Island Folk History Registration: -
- Welcome Dinner, including “Unearthing Norfolk Island’s Untold Stories” talk
- Visit to Fletcher’s Mutiny Cyclorama followed by Devonshire Tea at Hilli Restaurant
- “Tales from the Artefacts” as discovered by Sue in the Norfolk Island Museums
- Tag-A-Long Tour followed by picnic lunch at Lion’s Club Kingston
- “Convicts of the Second Settlement” - focusing on escapes, riots, work and personalities
- “Norfolk Island on The Middle Ground” - a presentation in song, historic and modern images and spoken word about the history of the Pacific whaling followed by Living Library talk by Trish Magri
- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- Pitcairn Settlers Village Tour including personal tour by local NI Whale Boat ‘Rhonda’ builders
- Norf’k culture night at Tampali including dinner & entertainment
- Half day Island tour
- Complimentary Mini Golf and A Walk in the Wild rainforest walk
- Bonus Norfolk Island discount shopping card
Prices are subject to availability and subject to change up until time of final payment and ticketing is completed
Please note that a non-refundable deposit of $200 per person is due upon booking confirmation. Final payment is due no later than 23 May 2018. Airfare is subject to availability and non-refundable after issue. Changes are permitted until day before departure however date/route changes can only be made within 7 days travel dates either side of your original booked travel dates. Amendments, upgrades and name changes are NOT permitted within 24 hours prior to departure. Payment of a change fee (per passenger) applies plus any applicable upgrade fees to cover the difference between the original fare and the new fare. Accommodation cancellation penalties apply within 90 days prior to travel. Within 60 days of travel, up to 100% cancellation fees may apply. We strongly recommend travel insurance to protect you in some instances for unforeseen cancellation.
Prices shown are in Australian dollars unless otherwise stated. Prices are valid for payment by personal or bank cheques or by direct deposit into Norfolk Island Travel Centre client trust account. If you prefer to pay by Visa or Mastercard please note credit card surcharge of 1.5% applies.