U3A Bounty Day
Join us for U3A Bounty Day celebrations, U3A Norfolk Island invites you to join the festivities 04 – 09 June 2017
U3A Bounty Day
U3A Norfolk Island invites U3A-ers to join us for our special Anniversary Day otherwise known as Bounty Day on Norfolk Island.
"U3A NI is one of the U3A movement’s newest members. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to welcome U3A-ers from all over Australia and New Zealand to the island, to immerse yourself in some of our significant cultural events and to learn more about our fascinating history and language. In the process, you will also get to know U3A NI members and join in our local activities. We look forward to meeting you."Barbara Kelly, U3A NI Chairperson.
It’s all about family, feasts and festivities on Bounty Day! The arrival of the Bounty settlers from Pitcairn Island is celebrated annually on Norfolk Island, this year falling on Monday 8 June. Each year the descendants dress in period costume and re-enact the landing on Norfolk Island. Islanders join as a community to feast island style on a bounty of food beside the sea among the Kingston convict ruins.
The arrival of the Pitcairn Islanders on Norfolk in 1856 was a sequel to one of the most famous shipboard mutinies ever, the Mutiny of the Bounty. These events have been recorded, debated and celebrated ever since Lieutenant Fletcher Christian led the dramatic seizing of the Her Majesty’s vessel “Bounty”.
On May 3, 1856, the Queen of England gave permission to settle on Norfolk Island, and the entire population of Pitcairn Island (194 islanders) along with everything they owned began the voyage. It is the descendants of the Pitcairners who live on Norfolk today. On the 8th June 1856, the Morayshire arrived at Norfolk where they were met by the Commissariat Storekeeper and his wife. This day became Bounty Day, also known as Anniversary Day and it is celebrated every year by the Norfolk Island community.
03 - 10 June 2017 depart Brisbane
From $1379 per person twin share
02 - 09 June 2017 depart Sydney
From $1429 per person twin share
04 - 11 June 2017 depart Auckland
From NZ$1649 per person twin share
Holiday package includes:
- Return ‘seat and bag’ airfare to Norfolk Island
- Meet & Greet at the Norfolk Island Airport
- Return airport transfers
- Seven night’s accommodation
- Seven days car hire
- Welcome meet & greet with local U3A members (canapés provided, drinks at own expense)
- 2 x Local U3A sessions (topics TBA), includes morning/afternoon tea
- Half Day Island Orientation Tour
- Fletcher Christian’s Mutiny Cyclorama (walk inside this unique 360° work of art & follow the Mutiny on the Bounty journey)
- 2 course welcome dinner at Hilli Lounge restaurant
- Entry to Bounty Folk Museum (an interesting display and amazing collection of Norfolk Island history)
- Convict Kingston tour of world heritage listed KAHVA area
- Tag-a-long tour to see Norfolk Island Museum highlights (2 mornings) + Multiple entry to all 4 museums.
- Pitcairn Settlers Tour to learn about the colourful history of Norfolk’s most recent settlement – the Pitcairners and their descendants
- Bounty Day Re-enactment
- Morning tea with local weavers
- Discount Norfolk Shopping Card with free gift
- Complimentary Mini Golf and A Walk in the Wild rainforest walk
Optional add on Bounty Day Lunch available upon booking
Please note prices are current today and subject to availability & change without notice up until time of final payment and ticketing.
Conditions/Cancellation Penalties- Group Standard Package Fare
Please note non-refundable deposit of $200 per person due upon confirmation of booking. Final payment is due prior to WEDNESDAY 08 March 2017. Airfare is subject to availability and non-refundable after issue. Changes are permitted until day before departure however date/route changes can only be made within 7 days travel dates either side of your original booked travel dates. Amendments, upgrades and name changes are NOT permitted within 24 hours prior to departure. Payment of a change fee (per passenger) applies plus any applicable upgrade fees to cover the difference between the original fare and the new fare. Accommodation cancellation penalties apply within 90 days prior to travel. Within 60 days of travel, up to 100% cancellation fees may apply. We strongly recommend travel insurance to protect you in some instances for unforeseen cancellation.
Prices shown are in Australian dollars unless otherwise stated (New Zealand prices indicated by NZ$ prefix). Prices are valid for payment by personal or bank cheques or by direct deposit into Norfolk Island Travel Centre client trust account. If you prefer to pay by Visa or Mastercard please note credit card surcharge of 1.5% applies to AUD prices. For NZ$ packages paying by Visa or Mastercard, the transaction will be converted to AUD (amount reconfirmed to you on the day of the transaction) and processed via our AUD merchant facility.