U3A Thanksgiving Day
Join us for U3A Thanksgiving Day celebrations, U3A Norfolk Island invites you to join the festivities 24 November – 2 December 2017
U3A Thanksgiving Day
"U3A NI is one the U3A movement’s newest members. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to welcome U3A-ers from all over Australia and New Zealand to the island, to immerse yourself in some of our significant cultural events and to learn more about our fascinating history and language. In the process, you will also get to know U3A NI members and join in our local activities. We look forward to meeting you." Barbara Kelly, U3A NI Chairperson.
U3A Norfolk Island invites U3A-ers to join us for Thanksgiving Day on Norfolk Island next November.
Norfolk Island demonstrates a surprising trait by celebrating Thanksgiving Day each year. An American inspired celebration Thanksgiving Day came to this small island in the 1890s as a cultural kind of cargo with the American whalers and traders.
The tradition has stuck and today families celebrate Thanksgiving Day on the fourth Wednesday of November by bringing produce to sell and raise money for the local church. The auction is often tongue in cheek where sour milk bread can go for a rate of $40 per loaf!!
25 November - 02 December 2017 depart Brisbane
From $1379 per person twin share
24 November - 01 December 2017 depart Sydney
From $1429 per person twin share
Holiday package includes:
- Return ‘seat and bag’ airfare to Norfolk Island
- Meet & Greet at the Norfolk Island Airport
- Return airport transfers
- 7 night’s accommodation
- 7 days car hire
- Welcome meet & greet with local U3A members (canapés provided, drinks at own expense)
- 2 x Local U3A sessions (topics TBA), includes morning/afternoon tea
- Half day island orientation tour
- Fletcher Christian’s Mutiny Cyclorama (walk inside this unique 360° work of art & follow the Mutiny on the Bounty journey)
- 2 course welcome dinner at Hilli Lounge restaurant
- Entry to Bounty Folk Museum (an interesting display and amazing collection of Norfolk Island history)
- Convict Kingston tour of world heritage listed KAHVA area
- Tag-a-long tour to see Norfolk Island Museum highlights (2 mornings) + Multiple entry to all 4 museums
- Pitcairn Settlers Tour to learn about the colourful history of Norfolk’s most recent settlement – the Pitcairners and their descendants
- Thanksgiving Day service
- Discount Norfolk Shopping Card with free gift
- Complimentary Mini Golf and A Walk in the Wild rainforest walk
Please note prices are current today and subject to availability & change without notice up until time of final payment and ticketing.
Please note non-refundable deposit of $200 per person due upon confirmation of booking. Final payment is due prior to 10 August 2017. Airfare is subject to availability and non-refundable after issue. Airfare is subject to availability and non-refundable after issue. Changes can be made up to 24 hours prior to departure at a change fee of $150 per person plus any applicable upgrade fees, subject to availability. Accommodation cancellation penalties apply within 90 days prior to travel. Within 60 days of travel, up to 100% cancellation fees may apply. We therefore strongly recommend travel insurance to protect you against any unforeseen cancellation.
Prices shown are in Australian dollars unless otherwise stated (New Zealand prices indicated by NZ$ prefix). Prices are valid for payment by personal or bank cheques or by direct deposit into Norfolk Island Travel Centre client trust account. If you prefer to pay by Visa or Mastercard please note credit card surcharge of 1.5% applies to AUD prices. For NZ$ packages paying by Visa or Mastercard, the transaction will be converted to AUD (amount reconfirmed to you on the day of the transaction) and processed via our AUD merchant facility.