Norfolk Island Travel Centre is subject to and complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended from time to time) and the thirteen Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOW?
We collect personal information about you that is relevant to your travel arrangements or that will enable us to provide you with our goods and services. We may also collect information about you in order for you to register as a member, complete a travel profile, participate in a survey or promotion, ask a question or initiate a transaction on our website, over the phone or a mobile application.
For example, we may collect details such as your name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, credit card number and expiry date, and details of your flight, hotel and car bookings and other travel details.
We collect your personal information directly from you in the course of providing a product or service or when you have other dealings with us. For example, your personal information will be collected when you deal with us over the telephone, send us a letter or an email, visit our website, submit an online enquiry or booking form, provide information to complete a booking or subscribe to a service provided by us.
We may also collect your personal information from others who make a booking on your behalf.
We may also collect information such as the departure city from which you usually travel, your preferences for seat selection or special meals, details about your participation in loyalty or awards programs and applicable membership numbers and other travel preferences. We also collect any other information that you have elected to provide us, such as gender, activities and lifestyle preferences and favourite destinations.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may use your personal information to:
- Provide you with travel products and services;
- Consider your request for a product or service;
- Provide you with information about other products and services that may be of interest to you. Please see the section titled ‘MARKETING AND PRIVACY’ for further information;
- Assist in arrangements and reservations with suppliers (such as airlines, tour operators, car hire operators, hotels and insurance providers) in relation to the provision of a product or service;
- Collect and process payments, though us or a third party;
- Perform all other administrative and operational tasks (including risk management, systems development and testing, staff training, and market or customer satisfaction research);
- To facilitate your participation in loyalty programs;
- Analyse how our products and services (including any websites) are used;
- Personalise the service or communication we provide to you, tailor your experience on our website or other websites to your interests and make more appropriate travel recommendations; and
- Investigate, detect and protect us and other third parties against, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activities;
WHEN DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Suppliers of products or services which you have selected (such as airlines, tour operators, car hire operators, hotels and insurance providers);
- Third party travel service providers who assist in fulfilling the booking you have made;
- Our online booking facility operator and host and others who assist in providing these services.
- Third party sponsors or co-sponsors of promotions on our website. Only information collected during a promotion will be disclosed to these parties;
- Government authorities in the event of an accident, disaster or emergency; and
- Others where we are authorised or required by law to do so.
Your information will also be shared for the purposes outlined in the section titled ‘HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
CROSS-BORDER DATA FLOWS
The third parties we disclose your personal information to (our suppliers, travel service providers and website manager) may be located overseas.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities, paper based facilities and other records. If you have registered on our website, we store your personal information (and any personal information of individuals for whom you have made reservations) in databases and email servers.
We will endeavour to take all reasonable precautions to maintain the security of the information in our systems. We use a combination of security measures to prevent the unauthorised access of our servers and regularly review our security policies. Your personal information will be stored in a secured location at the offices of our service providers as well as on servers controlled by Norfolk Island Travel Centre, located at our office.
ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to some exceptions contained in the Privacy Act, you can find out what personal information we hold about you. You can contact our Privacy Officer using the details in the section titled ‘CONTACT OUR PRIVACY OFFICER’ to find out about the personal information we hold about you. We will need to verify your identity before giving you access. Depending on the complexity of your request, we may charge a reasonable fee for processing the request. However, we will not charge for the making of the request.
If you would like to correct or update any information we hold about you please contact our Privacy Officer using the details in the section titled ‘CONTACT OUR PRIVACY OFFICER’.
WHAT ABOUT SENSITIVE INFORMATION?
We will only collect your sensitive information with your consent and where it is desirable for your travel arrangements. We will only use and disclose your sensitive information for the primary purpose for which it was collected or a purpose that is directly related to this primary purpose and reasonably expected. Otherwise, we will not collect, use or disclose sensitive information about you unless required to do so by law. Sensitive information, as defined by law, is any information about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices, criminal record, health information, biometric information that is to be used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or biometric identification or biometric templates.
INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER TRAVELLERS
MARKETING AND PRIVACY
Serving customers well is very important to us. As part of this service, we may use your personal information to identify a product or service that you may be interested in. We may contact you from time to time to let you know about new or exciting products or services and special offers that may be of interest to you, including information about our business partners’ products and services.
If you wish to opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us, please contact our Privacy Officer using the details in the section titled ‘CONTACT OUR PRIVACY OFFICER’ section below, or for emails, use the unsubscribe facility.
We may from time to time monitor and review any information transmitted or received through our website, or through telephone or e-mail communications, for quality assurance and other purposes. We reserve the right to censor, edit, remove or prohibit the transmission or receipt of any information that we deem inappropriate or in violation of our terms and conditions. During monitoring the information may be examined, recorded or copied.
LINKS AND SOCIAL PLUG-INS
If you wish to complain about our handling of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the details below. We will investigate all complaints and respond to you as soon as practicable. If we find a complaint justified, we will resolve it. If necessary, we will change our policies and procedures to maintain our high standards of performance, service and customer care.
If your complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, you may lodge a complaint with the Federal Privacy Commissioner. For more information on privacy, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s (OAIC’s) hotline service on 1300 363 992 or visit the OAIC ‘s website at www.oaic.gov.au.
CONTACT OUR PRIVACY OFFICER
If you have a privacy complaint or wish to correct, update or access the personal information that we hold about you, please contact our Privacy Officer using the following details:
Phone: +6723 22502
Address: Privacy Officer Norfolk Island Travel Centre, PO Box 172, Norfolk Island, South Pacific 2899